Lake Chelan Historical Photo
BUILDING: St. Andrew’s Church
Photo courtesy of the Chelan Museum – Visit their Site
Chelan’s “Log Church” was built in 1898 when Washington was still a territory. It is the oldest structure in Chelan. It was a missionary church of the Episcopal Diocese of Spokane, and its pastors served other congregations in the area (Brewster, Winthrop and Twisp), traveling on horseback, sometimes in bad weather.The congregation first met in 1891 in a school, after previously meeting in families’ homes. The logs for the church were cut uplake and rafted down to Chelan.