|Audio Walking Tour
Thank you for visiting Historic Downtown Chelan.
Enjoy our free audio walking tour!
To download our MP3 audio files to your computer or other MP3 device, please click on the "Tracks" "1" - "15" below in the tour overview.
There are WiFi sites availabe to the public at Riverwalk Books-Open Book Expresso and The Vogue (both on Woodin Ave.). Have them make you one of their coffee or drink senations while you download! Various MP3 devices available for sale at Raycom Radio Shack.
The download will take a few seconds for each track depending on your device, but you will be launched on a journey spanning the last 130 years, from our beginnings as a U.S. Army Camp in 1879 to our present day historic area that you are enjoying.
Special thanks to Joe Fiala (your superb narrator and production engineer), Wendy Isenhart (research & script) Tom Hackenmiller (author of Wapato Heritage), all of our partners at the Lake Chelan Historical Society, and our dedicated volunteers on the HDCA Design Committee.
Historic Downtown Chelan Association Audio Walking Tour Map
(Begins at Site 1 - Ends at Site 8)
1. Please begin your trip through time at Riverwalk Park (North Shore by the Pavilion & Woodin Ave. Bridge).
- Lady of the Lake Wheel House - Track 1
- Camp Chelan and Native American History - Track 2
- Lewis Woodin's Sawmill & city beginnings - Track 3
- The Bridges of Chelan - Track 4
2. Walk to the corner of Woodin Ave. & Columbia St. (Campbell's Resort)
- The Chelan Hotel - Built by C.C. Campbell - Track 5
3. Proceed north to Johnson Ave., head east to corner of Johnson & Emerson.
- The Great Chelan Auditorium Fire - Track 6
- The Methodist Church - Track 7
4. Proceed east on Johnson Ave. to Sanders, turn right, middle of block.
5. Proceed south, cross Woodin Ave., turn right and head west on Woodin Ave.
- Whaley's General Store (before Emerson St.) - Track 9
6. Corner of Woodin Ave. & Emerson St.
7. Continue west on the north side of Woodin Ave.
8. Continue west to crosswalk in the middle of the block & cross to south side of Woodin Ave.
Track 14and Track 15
This extremely rare log church (National Register of Historic Places) is the inspiring conclusion of your Historic Downtown Chelan Audio Walking Tour.